Sunday, August 21, 2005

Speed of Sound; Twenty-Four.

Two of my personal favourites. which i cant help but to feel that there's some kind of spiritual-ness behind these.

Speed of Sound - Coldplay

How long before I get in
Before it starts before I begin
How long before you decide or
Before I know what it feels like
Where to, where do i go?
If you never try then you'll never know
How long do i have to climb
Up on the side of this mountain of mine

Look up, I look up at night
Planets are moving at the speed of light
Climb up, up in the trees
Every chance that you get is a chance you seize
How long am I gonna stand
With my head stuck under the sand
I'll start before I can stop or
Before I see things the right way up

All that noise and all that sound
All those places I have got found
And birds go flying at the speed of sound
To show you how it all began
Birds come flying from the underground
If you could see it then you'd understand

Ideas that you'll never find
All the inventors could never design
The buildings that you put up
Japan and China all lit up
A sign that I couldn't read
or a light, that I couldn't see
Some things you have to believe
When others are puzzles, puzzling me

All that noise and all that sound
All those places I have got found
And birds go flying at the speed of sound
To show you how it all began
Birds came flying from the underground
If you could see it then you'd understand
Oh, when you see it then you'll understand

All those signs I knew what they meant
Somethings you can't invent
Some get made, and some get sent
And birds gone flying at the speed of sound
To show you how it all began
Birds came flying from the underground
If you could see it then you'd understand
Oh, when you see it then you'll understand

ever felt that sometimes, on this side of the mountain of ours, we just cant see the big picture, we just cant get the bird's eye view, we just cant understand. and we keep searching, keep climbing, keep trying. but with all that noise, the nuisnace of the hastles of everyday life, blurring our vision, rendering us unable to see things the way God sees. we try to read the read through the signs, the inventions, the puzzles, puzzling us, but somethings arent made, but sent. if you can see it than you'll understand.

Twenty-Four - Switchfoot

Twenty-four oceans
Twenty-four skies
Twenty-four failures
And twenty-four tries
Twenty-four finds me
In twenty-fourth place
With twenty-four drop outs
At the end of the day

Life is not what I thought it was
Twenty-four hours ago
Still I'm singing 'Spirit,
take me up in arms with You'
And I'm not who I thought I was
Twenty-four hours ago
Still I'm singing 'Spirit,
take me up in arms with You'

There's twenty-four reasons
To admit that I'm wrong
With all my excuses
Still twenty-four strong

See, I'm not copping out
Not copping out
Not copping out
When you're raising the dead in me

Oh, oh
I am the second man
Oh, oh
I am the second man now
Oh, I am the second man now
And you're raising these

Twenty-four voices
With twenty-four hearts
All of my symphonies
In twenty-four parts
But I want to be one today
Centered and true
I'm singing 'Spirit take me up in arms with You'
You're raising the dead in me

Oh, oh
I am the second man
Oh, oh
I am the second man now
Oh
I am the second man now
And you're raising the dead in me
Yeah

I wanna see miracles
To see the world change
Wrestled the angel for more than a name
For more than a feeling
For more than a cause
I'm singing 'Spirit, take me up in arms with You'
And you're raising the dead in me

Twenty-four oceans
With twenty-four hearts
All of my symphonies
With twenty-four parts
Life is not what I thought it was
Twenty-four hours ago
Still I'm singing 'Spirit,
take me up in arms with You'
I'm not copping out
Not copping out

and so God never promised that bad things aren't going to happen, only to be ensured that He knows what He's doing. Big Picture. and hence, i'm not going to cop out. and because i dont always understand, i come second (second man) to your cause(first man). when your raising(reviving) the (spiritual)dead in me - i want to see the world changed, for more than a name, for more than a feeling, for more than a cause. Take me up in arms with you.

-

On a completely seperate and random note, i was thinking abut rhetoric and its origin. many a time, we hear nice things, motivational things, things that acts upon our intuition, things like 'at the ned of the day, its the results that matter' and we think yes, we ought to be pragmatic, because its the ends that counts. and when another poster comes up saying 'ain our travel, its not the destination that counts, its the journey thats priceless' and indeed so. there are invaluable lessons learnt from the experience itself, regardless of the end point.

of course, we do have to understand that the human nature is complex, and different slogans can be representative at different periods of time. which than again is highly sbjective. and at this age, the balance between the two becomes highly confusing. when would you prioritise pragmatism over the idealism of enjoying the process. shld you be pragmatic abt your education get your 12 distinctions and have no childhood or would you rather follow your passion as a say a journalist but become unable to support yourself let alone your family?

questions that i dont really knwo the answers to.

in any case, i am sure that each perspective, though clashing have risen out of popularity not ebcasue they make perfect sense, but because people like them, people believe them and people may ultimately get utterly confused as i do.

and talking about making perfect sense, i sometimes wonder whether all these quotes and what naught are really the product of those trying to justify themselves like the artist who just wants tto have fun and not take life too seriosuly and calls it 'passion' and taht we shld 'enjoy the bits and pieceslife ahs got to offer us.' what exactly is that supposed to mean? it doesnt mean anything, its just something that we can identify with, whether good or bad. on the other hand, the insecure perosn might find himself saying that only results matter because he has worked all his life to try to find secutiry in them, and when he realises that he's missed out so much in his workaholic hours, he cannot accept that loss.

now, as my thoughts are evolving, maybe this confusion is my fault. while trying ot be a tolerant relativist at my age, and trying to collapse all these different perspectives together and trying to agree with both, maybe its more of a personality stance, where most ppl lean (not swint) to one side more than the other. either i have yet to find which side i ultimately will fall for, or i am destined to be confused all my life.

but in any case, i am the second man now;
you're raising the dead in me...